1950-1975
1950       Department of Journalism becomes a School of Journalism
1950       University of Kentucky receives $425,000 gift from the Kentucky Kernel for the construction of new Journalism Building
1953       Marguerite McLaughlin receives the "Pro Ecclesia and Pontificie" award bestowed by Pope Pius XII
1966       MA Program in Communication is approved
1968       School of Communication is established with 3 departments: Journalism, Telecommunications, and Speech
1970      The School of Library Science becomes the College of Library Science, the first in the country
1972      The Kentucky Kernel becomes fully independent on January 19
1975       The School of Communications is abolished and replaced with a School of Journalism and Department of Human Communication
 
Historic photo: 
The inauguration ceremony at Grehan Hall, 1950