- UK Forensics
- McConnell Center
- About us
Have you considered a career as a librarian or information professional? Or perhaps you having been working in a library and are ready to take the next step in your career? At the University of Kentucky’s School of Information Science, we offer courses to help you grow as a public, academic, school or even health sciences librarian.
The Master's of Science in Library Science
There are only a number of library schools with ALA-accredited* programs (*continued accreditation), and a few still that offer the Master’s in Library Science (MLS, MSLS, etc.) fully online. Graduate students in the Library Science (LIS) program at UK SIS have the opportunity to earn their degree online and in as little as 36 credit hours. We pride ourselves on offering unique opportunities to our graduate students, including:
- Asynchronous online classes allow students a flexible, individualized schedule, and students may take classes full-time or part-time to meet the degree requirements
- In-state/Resident tuition rates for online learners (see current rates here) cuts cost of a graduate degree significantly for distance students
- Practicum and Study Abroad possibilities as part of student’s credit hours
- School Librarian Certification for students pursuing a career in school libraries or media centers
- Chance to apply for an Alternative Spring Break internship position in Washington D.C. at places like the Library of Congress, National Library of Medicine, or the Smithsonian Libraries
- A Top 5 U.S. News & World Report ranking in Health Librarianship
As part of the iSchool for the University of Kentucky, we’re committed to growing the information field.
We offer concentration areas in:
- Academic Libraries (with both a public services path and a technical services path)
- Health Information
- Information Systems
- Public Libraries
- School Librarian Program*
- Youth Services and Literature
- Generalist (for students who want to forge a degree plan based on their professional aspirations)
*The School Librarian Program allows for concurrent school media certification/rank change. See here for more details.
empowered by information
transformed by learning
driven by research
We are a community of scholars, educators, and advisors who prepare information professionals to be leaders and change agents in meeting the needs of a diverse and evolving society.
Want to know more or get in touch with us? You can:
1. Request More Information
Learn more information about our program by contacting Student Affairs with any questions you may have.
2. Attend an Online Information Session
Sign up for one of our online information sessions where you will be able to talk with our admissions coordinator about the program and the application process.
3. Start Your Application
4. Contact Us
Have a specific question not answered on our website’s FAQ, etc.? We would love to hear from you! You can contact Student Affairs at email@example.com, and if it’s an admissions-specific question, you can also email or CC our admissions coordinator Ashley Dewitt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Follow Us