ICT 395 Independent Study for Undergraduate Students
Students may wish to pursue an independent study (ICT 395) for one of the following reasons:
- To perform a directed study in an ICT-related subject, issue or problem of a particular interest to the student which is not dealt with in regular courses.
- To enable the student to expand upon a topic which has been dealt with in regular courses, but not to the degree which satisfies the student's interest.
Independent research or reading and a substantial written report are required for the independent study.
Objectives for students in ICT 395 include:
- Locate ICT within the overall context of the client information environment as well as within the particular interest area.
- Demonstrate skills to critically evaluate both public and commercially available information retrieval sources.
- Demonstrate applying principles, concepts and skills within a particular emphasis area of ICT.
Course goals and objectives are determined by the student and directing faculty member in a learning contract prior to the approval of the independent study.
For more information, please contact SIS Student Affairs. Please note it is highly recommended that materials for an independent study be turned in well before classes begin for the semester chosen for its completion. This allows time for approval and, if needed, re-submission of the ICT 395 contract.
ICT 695 Independent Study for Graduate Students
The purpose of ICT 695 Independent Study is to provide students of the School the opportunity for directed study in a subject, issue or problem of a particular interest to the student, and which is not dealt with in regular courses, or to enable the student to expand upon a topic which has been dealt with, but not to the degree which satisfies the student's interest.
Independent research or reading are required. Students may pursue a variety of creative final deliverables for their independent study including film, informative websites/blog projects and resource guides which use multimedia content.
Before you will be permitted to register for ICT 695, you must:
- Have completed at least 18 semester hours of the 36‐hour program including all core courses.
- Complete the ICT 695 Independent Study Contract and secured the signature of the directing faculty member.
- Returned the contract to SIS Student Affairs for final approval.