Frequently Asked Questions

Advising Questions


Why can’t I get my hold lifted during walk-in hours?
Walk-in hours are maintained for quick questions about majors, minors, scheduling, etc. and may not be with your assigned academic advisor. For these reasons, you should not anticipate having a hold lifted during this time. You should go to myAppointments on the myInfo tab of myUK to schedule an appointment with your advisor to discuss your schedule and have your advisor hold lifted.

What if I need to cancel an appointment?
If it is beyond 24 hours of the appointment time you should go to myAppointments in myUK to cancel the appointment. If it is within 24 hours of the appointment, you should email your academic advisor to cancel.

What happens if I miss my scheduled appointment?
Students should keep scheduled appointments. Missing two scheduled appointments may result in being blocked from making additional appointments. However, we understand that sometimes things happen out of your control. If you have a valid reason for missing an appointment, please email your academic advisor as close to the appointment time as possible to explain.

What if I have a conflict with my advisor?  (What if we have a disagreement? What if I don’t like my advisor?)
Conflicts between advisors and students are rare. However, if you have a substantial disagreement with your advisor or you feel as though they are being disrespectful to you please contact the Director of Student Services. 

What if my advisor does not have any openings when I am available?
Our advisors do their best to offer appointment availability daily. However, appointments are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis so prior to and during priority registration appointments will fill quickly. You should schedule your appointment early to secure a time you are available. If there are never any appointment times with your advisor when you are not in class, please email your advisor to see about other possible meeting times.



Degree Questions


What is the difference between a BA and a BS?
A Bachelor of Arts requires students to complete a series of foreign language or linguistics classes as part of their curriculum. A Bachelor of Science requires students to complete 48 hours in “science” with 9 hours specifically in math, computer science, or statistics above what they earn for core.
For complete details, click here

Why is my major listed as pre-? What is the difference between pre and upper division status?
Pre-major students are those who have not met all the requirements to move into upper division for their major. To move to upper division or “major” status instead of “pre-major” you must successfully complete the first 8 of UK Core and any pre-major requirements for your major, maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA, and have earned at least 30 hours. Once you are in upper division (major) status you can start taking upper-division courses for your major. 

Why does my major require me to have a minor or cognate? What is the difference?
The university requires the completion of 120 hours with 42 hours at the 300+ level or above. The number of hours for the majors in our college range between 36 and 48 hours. To reach the required number of 300+level course this means you will need to take courses outside the major. Some majors allow students to fulfill those additional 300+level courses through cognate courses (15 hours of 300+level courses outside the major) while other majors require a more focused approach through an official university minor. 

When a class is approved for more than one core area, why doesn’t it apply to both areas?
Several general education classes have been approved for more than one core area. Unfortunately, students are only able to apply each course to only one UK Core area.
If the degree audit in myUK applies it to one core area, but you would like it to apply to the other core area it has been approved for please contact your advisor about the change.


Transfer Questions


Can I take a class at BCTC or another community college over summer to save money?
Yes. You would need to apply and be accepted separately as a visiting student at the community college. Then you would have to transfer the credits back to UK to apply toward your UK degree.

I am planning to take classes at a community college over summer how do I get a letter of good standing?
To request a letter of good standing you must have a GPA of 2.0 or higher. To obtain the letter you must go to the Registrar’s Office with a picture ID and complete a form. Here is a link to the Registrar’s Office with more information.

How do I transfer credits back to UK from a college I attended over summer?
You should visit the Transcript Request webpage of Registrar’s Office webpage of the school you attended to request the final transcript be sent to UK. Once the transcript is received and processed at UK you should be able to see any applied credit in the degree audit in myUK under the Degree Planning and Registration tab.