Skip to main content
Courtney Advising Student

Student Success FAQs


Your advisor’s name and contact information can be found in the top right corner of your Degree Planning and Registration page in myUKGPS. Students are required to meet with their advisor once per semester.  

Once you've logged into myUK, click the Degree Planning and Registration page tab under the Student Services header. Select the “Make Appointment" button below your advisor’s name in the top right-hand corner. Available appointment days will be listed in blue with available times on the right.  

Schedule an appointment with your advisor prior to your registration window opening. Your registration window date/time can be found on your Degree Planning and Registration page of myUKGPS.  

Students have a 10-minute grace period after which they will need to reschedule for a later day/time.  

Reschedule your appointment in myUKGPS. If you have an emergency the day of, email your advisor ASAP.  

The Degree Audit function of myUKGPS will show you how you have progressed toward completing your degree requirements. You will be able to see the audit for your current major, as well as run “what if” audits for other majors (if you are thinking about switching) or your major with the addition of a minor.


If a course is full, a course override may not be granted.

If you are requesting an override for a CIS/ICT/IS/ISC/JAM/JOU/MAS course, click here. 

If you are requesting an override for a COM course, please click here. 

The COM override form is not for COM majors. If you are a COM major and need assistance, email  

Yes! If you intend to take a course outside of UK, be sure to talk with your advisor and reference UK’s Transfer Evaluation System to ensure you are taking the correct course. Upon completion of the course, a final transcript will need to be sent to UK admissions. More information on transferring credits can be found here

Yes! Students can file three “repeat options” during their career. The online form can be found here.

If you have a non-academic situation that impacts your academic performance, you may qualify for a Post Midterm Withdrawal appeal. Reach out to your advisor to discuss your options.  

A Retroactive Withdrawal Appeal is an appeal process after the conclusion of the semester where a non-academic event resulted in a student’s academic performance suffering. Contact the Director of Student Affairs, Suanne Early for more information 

Intellectual Inquiry - Arts and Creativity

  • ICT 200/IS 200: Information Literacy and Critical Thinking
  • ISC 100: Introduction to Strategic Visual Communication

Intellectual Inquiry - Social Sciences

  • COM 101: Introduction to Communications
  • COM 311: Taking Control of Your Health: Patient-Provider Communication
  • COM 313: Interpersonal Relationships
  • COM 314: The Dark Side of Interpersonal Communication and Relationships
  • COM 317: Comm in Family and Marital Relationships
  • ICT 150: Experience ICT

Composition and Communication

  • CIS 110: Composition and Communication I
  • CIS 111: Composition and Communication II
  • CIS 112: Accelerated Composition and Communication II
  • ICT 114: Composition and Communication in the Digital Age I 
  • ICT 115: Composition and Communication in the Digital Age II

Community, Culture and Citizenship in the USA

  • COM 312: Intercultural Communication in the Media
  • JOU 101: Intro to Journalism
  • JOU 208: Issues in 21st Century Sports Journalism

Global Dynamics

  • COM 319: Communication, Health Disparities and Social Change 
  • COM 390: Communication Education Abroad
  • ICT 205: Issues in Info and Comm Tech Policy 

View CI-specific laptop and technology recommendations here.

Majors and Minors

Students in the College will be considered pre-major while completing the following: 

  • 8 areas of UK Core 
  • 3-hour STA course 
  • 30 total earned hours 
  • 2.0 GPA 
  • Specific pre-major courses for declared major 

Select the “request a major change” link on the right side of your Degree Planning and Registration page in myUKGPS. Students are only allowed to change their major during certain parts of the semester. Minors may be added at any time. Contact your advisor for additional information.

All CI majors require the completion of an internship except for the communication major. Communication majors do have the option to intern if they wish. Contact your faculty advisor or major department for internship questions.  

If you are majoring in ISC, JOU or MAS, you are required to complete a minor to graduate.  


Once a student has completed 85 credit hours, they are eligible to apply for their degree. 

Access your Degree Audit in myUKGPS and navigate to the “graduation” section. From here click the “Apply for Graduation” button. This will redirect you to myUK to complete the application. 

The deadlines for applying for your degree are as follows: 

  • April 1 for May or August graduation 
  • November 1 for December graduation 

Visit the UK Commencement website. 


A list of your student academic rights can be found here.

Begin the appeal process with the individual who is most directly involved. In many cases, this will begin with the course instructor.  If a student wishes to pursue the appeal beyond the instructor decision, then additional steps can be taken which follow the appropriate order:

  1. Instructor
  2. Course Coordinator or Director of Undergraduate Studies
  3. Department Chair or School Director

Note: A student should wait for a response at each level before moving on to the next level in the process. If at any level the point of contact is non-responsive for seven business days, it is appropriate to go to the next level.

At each level, the complainant should be prepared including appropriate documentation and support for the complaint.

The student may consult with the Academic Ombud or the College of Communication and Information Associate Dean of Student Success at any time during the process.

If a student is dissatisfied with the outcome of the college resolution process, or feels that their rights have been violated, then they may contact the Academic Ombud.

Details on the probation, suspension and reinstatement policy can be found here.

The grade “I” (incomplete) means that part of the regularly assigned work of the course remains undone and that course objectives have not been completed during the allotted course time due to circumstances usually beyond the student’s control. An “I” grade shall be conferred only when there is a reasonable possibility that a passing grade will result when work is completed, and at the discretion of the instructor. An “I” grade will NOT be granted if there has not been enough course work completed to determine if a passing grade is reasonable. Grades already earned in the class will NOT be replaced if an “I” is granted. The student will not register for the course again, but will work directly with the instructor to complete remaining coursework.

You and your instructor will have to complete an incomplete grade contract detailing agreement for completing the remaining work. You can find the contract form here

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended, is a federal law that protects the privacy and confidentiality of personally identifiable information contained within student education records.

You can find information on other university policies here

310 Lucille Little Library
Lexington, KY 40506-0224

Get Directions

Connect with CI