The College of Communication and Information leaves its mark across UK's campus with programs, offices and research spaces housed in seven buildings. In addition to the College's current facilities, we also have two exciting future projects that will allow us to bring brand-new, state-of-the-art spaces to our students, faculty and staff. See the map below and the following list for details on what is located in each of our facilities.
Department of Communication, School of Journalism and Media and Office of Student Media
Blazer Dining, originally named Blazer Hall, is named in honor of Georgia M. Blazer who served continuously on the Board of Trustees from 1939 to 1961. Blazer Dining is home to the Department of Communication, the School of Journalism and Media and the Office of Student Media.
Bowman Hall was completed in 1949 and is named in honor of John Bryan Bowman, an American lawyer and educator, and most notably as the founding father of Kentucky University and the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Kentucky. Bowman Hall is home to some of the College’s research space.
Breckenridge Hall was completed in 1930 as a dormitory and named for W. C. P. Breckenridge, a lawyer and U.S. Representative from Kentucky. Breckenridge houses College research space.
The Funkhouser Building was built in 1942 to house the biological sciences and was named to honor William Funkhouser, chairman of the zoology department and dean of the Graduate School. Funkhouser is the home of Intercollegiate Debate.
Lucille Little Library
Dean’s Office, CI Student Success Center and School of Information Science
Lucille Little Library opened in 2002 and is named in honor of Lucille Caudill Little who was one of Lexington's premier champions of the arts. The third floor is home to the Dean’s Office, CI Student Success Center and the School of Information Science.
Department of Integrated Strategic Communication, Graduate Program in Communication, CI Business Center and CI Technology Services
McVey Hall is named in honor of the third president of the University of Kentucky, Frank L. McVey, who served as president for 23 years. Opened in 1928, McVey Hall is the home of the Department of Integrated Strategic Communication, the Graduate Program in Communication, the CI Business Center and CI Technology Services.
Taylor Education Building
The Taylor Education Building was constructed in 1965 and dedicated to the former College of Education President Frank G. Dickey. Dickey not only served as a College of Education president in 1953, he was also the fifth University of Kentucky president from 1956-1963. Taylor currently houses the College’s television studio.
New Studio Space
Coming Spring 2024
Coming soon: a 20,000-square-foot studio, production center and learning/research laboratory in Rupp Arena at the Central Bank Center in the heart of downtown Lexington. The state-of-the-art facility – a partnership with the College, UK Athletics and JMI Sports – will create a high-tech collaborative space where students can learn alongside professionals in broadcasting and media production.
Pence Hall currently houses the UK College of Design. As the College of Design transitions into their new space in the Reynolds Building, Pence Hall will become the home base for many things CI in the future.